Messy Church Canada provides resources to start up and grow your Messy Church. Resources are provided through our bi-monthly eNewsletter, workshops and gatherings, events, videos and other print materials. MCC also encourages our Messy Churches to share their ideas, activities, themes, food planning and the like as we all grow together – so do let us know about your messy journey!
The Messy Church Canada Course
Learn the ins and outs of Messy Church in Canada with our new course, covering the theology and best practices in starting and leading an effective Messy Church.
Events and Workshops
By attending a Messy Church workshop or Messy Fiesta you will have an opportunity to experience what Messy Church can offer your church.
- A Messy Church Workshop (90-120 minutes) is often part of a conference or an information session for a Diocese, Presbytery or Conference
- A Messy Fiesta is a full day (usually 10am-3pm) session that may be part of a conference or a stand alone event – usually on a Saturday. The morning is a themed ‘Messy Church’ gathering then presentations and Q & A in the afternoon.
- A Messy Meet Up is a gathering of Messy Church leaders and practitioners to network, share ideas, and learn about new ideas for specific topics or themes – generally for 2-3 hours. Often held on a Saturday or week day evening.
Messy Church Workshops and Fiestas will allow you to experience a Messy Church as well as to gather resources, and to explore the history of this innovative way of being church in a changing world. You will take away knowledge, skills and materials to help you get started – and have lots of fun as you meet with other interested folks!
- POSTPONED UNTIL 2022… May 8, 2021 from 10:00am-4:00pm Messy Camp at Camp Kintail in Goodrich ON Just $10 each for the whole day including activities and lunch. For more information and contacts, please download poster here!
If you are interested in hosting an event, please let us know!
Check out our past newsletters and subscribe to the Messy Church bi-monthly eNewsletter to receive lots of free resources, articles, and ideas from Canadians and folks from around the world!
We have a library of videos for you to learn from and use!
Our volunteer Regional Coordinators are located across Canada – they pray for, support and resource Messy Churches in their region and are a blessing to us.
A wide range of books and other resources are available to support your Messy Church.
Scripture Union (SU) in Pickering, ON distributes all the Messy Church books in Canada including the core books (Messy Church 1, 2, & 3) which include themes for a whole year. As well there are specific craft books, seasonal (Easter, Christmas) books, books on Celebration, Messy Prayers, How to Start Your Messy Church, Messy Church Discipleship and more. If you can’t find a Messy Church book you are looking for, call SU at 1-905-427-4947 or email Scripture Union
Messy Church Themes
Messy Churches across Canada have submitted themes for inclusion on the web site.
There are wonderful themes in the three ‘Messy Church’ books as well as in ‘Messy Christmas’ and ‘Messy Easter’ and the ‘Get Messy’ newsletters (4 themes every 4 months) – but most MC practitioners contextualize and put their own spin on what they do! We all work hard to prepare for each Messy Church, and we can lighten the load and spark creativity and ideas for others by sharing our themes.
If you are interested in submitting a theme to share please include the following information with your submission:
- Your name, church and affiliation, when you run your MC etc
- Title of Theme and Biblical reference
- 10-12 Activities (try to include an edible craft and game along with other crafts)
- Each of the 10-12 activity sheets should include what you need, how to do it and what to talk about along with a picture if possible. Be sure to include references for activities you have adapted from another source.
- Take Home idea to further the conversation on the theme after folks leave.
Please note that copyright is important and so if you have made adaptations to existing materials, please be sure to be specific regarding your sources. If you have photos including children, be sure you have permission to publish them.
Submissions should be sent to the MCC Team Leader.
Submitted by Canadian Messy Churches
- What is a Prophet?
- Jesus Knocks
- Blind Bart
- A New Start (Noah)
- Living Water
- Talking to God
- The Sower
- The Lost Son (Prodigal Son)
- Bee Attitudes (The Beatitudes)
- A Little Help From Friends
- Let My People Go
- Journey to Christmas
Get Messy Magazine
Available from the UK, it is published every four months and includes great articles and themes. Click here for more information and to download.
Free Resources are available on Messy Church’s international website.
Many of the books are also available as a download from BRF: https://www.brfonline.org.uk/collections/messy-church Many of the resources include free downloadable support materials.
Resources Including Activities and Complete Themes
- Messy Church Fresh ideas for building a Christ-centred community (Canadian Ed) by Lucy Moore
- Messy Church 2 Ideas for discipling a Christ-centred community by Lucy Moore
- Messy Church 3 Fifteen Sessions for exploring the Christian life with families by Lucy Moore
- Messy Christmas by Lucy Moore & Jane Leadbetter
- Messy Easter by Jane Leadbetter
- Messy Hospitality by Lucy Moore
- Messy Togetherness by Martyn Payne
- Get Messy magazine – available as a download from BRF https://www.messychurch.org.uk/resources/get-messy-magazine